Living in Spain and bringing up a Spanglish family during the current 'crisis' and trying various ways to make some 'dinero'. Enjoying life in the sun, crafting and blogging as much as possible.

26 Apr 2012

Colegiata de Santa Maria - Huescar

Last night I had to go to Huescar to the main church there for a memorial service for my father-in-law (as it is a year since he sadly lost his fight against lung cancer).

 

Whilst standing there as part of the congregation I was just amazed at the size of the church, the people all there listing to every word the preist said, the whole ritual of the evening and the taking communion at the end......it was pretty impressive. (although not being religious and not being used to this kind of service I did feel I was in a scene from the 'DaVinci Code' or something similar from the movies!.......was kind of expecting something drastic to happen! (of course it didn't!)


Last year I attended a few services in this church. My niece and nephews were all confirmed there last year so I was there for that and also because I was asked to be the 'godmother' to my niece I had to attend a couple of pre-confirmation evenings. Then in May last year my nephew took his first communion there (that was a very busy and extravegant day). But the one thing that amazes me is about 8 years ago (well before I moved here) I actually visited this church with my German friend, when we were in Spain taking part in an archaeological dig (volunteers with Earthwatch).  If anyone had told me then that I would return to the church, married to a Spanish man, taking part in the confirmation services etc I would never have believed them! (what a very bizarre coincidence).



If anyone visits Huescar you must take the time to enter this church it is simply breathtaking inside.

Colegiata de Santa Maria

Santa Maria Teaching Church

This teaching church of cathedral dimensions and in Gothic/Renaissance style from the beginning of the 16th century, is emblematic of Huescar and its historic past. The building is an interesting mix of elements brought in from Toledo as well as Andalusia.

Different architects from the Renaissance period have left their mark on this magnificent building, constructed to the highest specifications. Enrique Egas from Toledo and Jacobo Florentin are attributed as having overseen the creation of the magnificent door to the old Sacristy, amongst other things. Inside there are many contrasting elements of interest, including the gothic vault and the baroque chancel. Some parts of the church had to be rebuilt after destruction during the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment